Wednesday, 21 September 2011

Time to switch?


I think I need to go lie down for a while. I've come over all funny, like.









Cos I've just done something I've never done before, not even when I had 'another half' to do it with. Oh, that's sounds a bit odd. I should continue, and quickly.

Having agreed to a visit from an energy company salesman this morning, I felt I should do a wee bit of homework prior to his arrival so I would have some idea of what he was talking about. Or at least be able to fool him into thinking I knew my standing charges from my fixed savers. So I trawled the price-comparison sites last night, sought out Martin Lewis' advice, and dug out a bill to actually find out what tariff I'm on and what my usage is. (Is that really sad and pathetic that I didn't know what my tariff was? I blame it on the fact that my ex 'took care' of the energy bills, and I'm still catching up on "Stuff You Need To Know" as a single parent.)

So the nice salesman arrived - and yes, he was nice. Not 18 yrs old and wearing an oversized pin-striped suit and footballer's 'big tie' like the last salesman who came a-callin'. This one was a bit older, took his shoes off at the door (!), didn't push me to make a decision, just told me what options his company could offer and left me his number if I wanted to switch.

After a bit more research this afternoon, I found a tariff which met my needs and saved me a bit of money (which happened to be with my current supplier), I gingerly picked up the phone and switched.

Just Like That!

Now, that might not sound like a big deal, but for years we (and now I) never switched suppliers or tariffs as the thought of working out what is cheaper, easier, better in the longer term, cheaper in the short term, etc, just put us off doing it. Like a whole lot of other people. So for me, it was a big deal and I duly patted myself on the back. (Which is not easy to do, try it!)

No more will I stick with what I've got just to save hassle, when there's a chance of saving some much needed pennies.

I credit myself with having a reasonable amount of intelligence and common sense and I found the thought of going through the process a bit daunting. I am no political activist by any means but I support any political pledge which makes it easier for consumers to find cheaper deals, to actually switch suppliers, and for government to come down harder on the big energy companies, as has been touted this week.


Now for that lie down.





No comments:

Post a Comment