If you didn't read my previous post, I'm doing a weekly post on B's first Big Summer Holidays: Boredom vs Budget.
WEEK ONE : Managing Expectations
If my plan was to manage B’s expectations from the get-go - about having some busy, further afield days out, but also having ‘lazy’, stay-at-home days which can be just as fun - then I failed miserably, as he had a non-stop, full week!
![]() |
| A day for wellies and waterproofs |
![]() |
| Forth Rail Bridge on a brighter day. |
Money spent: home-made picnic and no kids train fares, so not too bad for Day 1.
Energy spent: Lots! Jumping in big puddles is hard work!
Top Tip to remember: Kids Go Free on off-peak,
day-return rail journeys.
day-return rail journeys.
I had decided to put B in holiday club for the next couple of days, partly to let me go to work (yes, I mustn’t forget I do need to go to work!) and also to give him a taster of holiday club which I’m sure I may need to use more of in the years to come.
This week was a jungle/safari theme. Tuesday was jungle-themed games in the gym hall, making animal prints, and ‘Jungle Book’ film if wet outside “(if”?!!). I picked him up at the end of his first day, eager to hear how he got on. I was met with a large bruise and scrape on his forehead and an accident report form for me to sign. Apparently he’d only been in the door literally ten minutes and he’d fallen off a climbing log outside and conked his head on the ground. He was fine, thankfully, a bit of calpol needed that night for his sore head, but luckily no lasting damage!
| Image credit: Blairdrummond.com |
Money spent: cost of holiday club for a couple of days, but no extras for day trip so good value. (Although wet socks indicated that a new pair of wellies are urgently required.)
Energy spent: Oodles on his part, none on mine, and I got a few adult-friendly hours with old friends, bonus!
No. of times "I'm bored" uttered: none! (that i heard, anyway)
No. of times "I'm bored" uttered: none! (that i heard, anyway)
![]() |
| Amazing tree sculpture in the park |
Undeterred, we headed off to a country park just 20 minutes away, with lots of open space, two playparks, a forest walk for exploring, and a café for re-filling the energy tanks. Thankfully, the fog did lift enough, and occasionally the sun peeked out, teasing us with its fleeting warmth. We had a great day, one of those unexpectedly successful days you wish they could all be like, with little effort or pennies spent but lots of fun had by the boys and a really good natter for the mummies.
Money spent: Not too much, picnic made up for the boys, only
toasties and cuppa bought for the grown-ups.
Energy spent: A load once again, lots of fresh air and for once without the rain, yay!
Energy spent: A load once again, lots of fresh air and for once without the rain, yay!
Note to self: you can never pack enough food for hungry boys.
Friday was a quiet day in comparison to the rest of the week, as B
was heading to his Dad’s in the afternoon as is the routine. We did some
painting in the morning, something we've not done together for ages (mostly because of the thought of clearing up...) - big pictures of police cars and fire stations
(apparently).
Money spent: minimal. Lunch
at home of tomato soup, tuna wraps and cucumber sticks. yum.
Energy spent: A little bit, helped by an impromptu painting-break involving indoor football and tennis in the
hall (Wimbledon was underway and Andy
Murray was doing well…)
Weekly Round-up:
Money Spent: could have been worse.
Energy spent: A shedload - not that it got him to sleep any earlier...
No. of times "I'm bored" heard: None! Long may that continue.
Did B have a good week?: "certainly, Mummy" Oh, bless.
Top Tip: Home-made lunches - cheaper, and picnics much more fun. And you then don't begrudge paying out for an ice-cream later.
Money Spent: could have been worse.
Energy spent: A shedload - not that it got him to sleep any earlier...
No. of times "I'm bored" heard: None! Long may that continue.
Did B have a good week?: "certainly, Mummy" Oh, bless.
Top Tip: Home-made lunches - cheaper, and picnics much more fun. And you then don't begrudge paying out for an ice-cream later.



No comments:
Post a Comment