Thursday, 26 January 2012

Back in the writing groove



I'm feeling very psyched right now.

Can I say psyched? It sounds very american-football-esque. Maybe I should go with 'energised'. No, that sounds like I've just come out of a management team-building session... ok stick with psyched.

I'm psyched, for want of a better word, after my evening class last night.

Firstly, it's a blinkin' novelty for me to be able to get out of the house of an evening midweek. Without B's dad around any longer to take up the child-minding slack, I've come to accept that midweeks are for browsing the blogosphere or catching up on ER on Sky+ (I've only got 18 episodes to get through...).
 
(Note to self: 
may be watching too much ER. 
Had 'odd' dream about ginger-haired doctor Archie Morris
last night. Not Kovac or Carter. Archie Morris. Hm.)





[image credit: nbc.com]

But B's dad and I managed to agree that when he comes up to our house to see B on a Wednesday, I can get out of the house for a couple of hours to do something for me. It's taken almost a year to find something I want to do which is on a Wednesday and doesn't finish too late (B's dad chose to move a bus and a train journey away and doesn't have a car and I can't be bothered with the "i'll miss the train" moaning every week...).

I've been really wanting to start writing again. I started about 3 years ago, did an intensive summer course to get the 'creative juices' flowing, and carried on for about 6 months. Then, all hell broke loose in my life... but that story's for another day (or lifetime).

Needless to say, I may have collected a load of great story ideas, but my head has not been in the right space to put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) until recently. Starting the blog was the first step back on the writing path.

And so the 10 week writing course run by the university has come at just the right time. I may even have been a little too keen, as I turned up at the class a whole week earlier than I should have. D'oh!

Two weeks in, I'm amazed at how easy it has been to get back into the writing groove. Within the confines and guidance of the class, at least. I was so scared to start writing again, my confidence having scarpered long ago. But the class is just the kick up the wotsit that I need to get going again and I'm damned if I'm going to give up this time. We also have a bit of 'homework' to do each week. It's been a looong time since I had homework. I never thought I'd say that I'm looking forward to doing it!

[imagecredit: writersbreak.com]



I might even have a stab at the odd Three Word Wednesday or another writing bloghop when I'm feeling bit more confident.

p.s. to self: I will return to this post every so often if I'm feeling a bit of writer's block, may be good therapy.





No comments:

Post a Comment