It's Monday 16th January today. All Day. And apparently officially 'the most depressing day of the year', now that Christmas is well and truly over, still two weeks from next pay check (for those of you who actually get a paycheck worth mentioning...), and it's cold. And it's Monday, pure and simple!
Fortunately, it was a beautiful, crisp, bright day round these parts, which ALWAYS helps! I'll take freezing cold but sunny over milder but dull any day.
It was also my first day back volunteering for a pre-school Messy Play group, run by a local Community Health project. I've been volunteering with the group for about 7 months or so, for local parents to come along for an hour with their wee ones and have some free, messy fun without the hassle of cleaning up at the end! It's a great project, aimed at helping parents become more confident at doing messy, creative play with their kids.
It's hard work though, the kids like to make a LOTTA mess! Today, for example, it took 2 of us a whole hour to clean up! But the best bit is being able to have fun with the children: watching them pouring half a tub of paint on their mum's shoes, throw 'fireworks' with coloured shredded paper, or failing to make play doh and making gooey gloopy gluck instead!
What I took out of today, after a month off, was that I really enjoy working with children and want to continue to do so, but ideally, get paid for it! It's something I've been pondering over the past year since I was made redundant. And a year on, I feel I definitely want to follow this path.
I know I don't want to become a nursery or primary teacher, for various reasons, not least being the uncertainty of finding a teaching post.
So my big problem is finding a role which will fit. Not an easy task it seems...
No comments:
Post a Comment