Thursday, 12 April 2012

Luke-warm tea


My first ever time linking with Just Write over at The Extraordinary Ordinary and I'm 2 days late. 
Must Try Harder.



As I stood in the kitchen sipping a luke-warm cup of tea, I listened to B's bedroom door being slammed ever harder and his voice rising and screeching ever louder. I was at that horribly familiar place again, wondering what on earth is the best course of action to bring this particular tantrum to a quick close? Putting him in his room only added to his frustration (hence the door banging and screaming). Removing cherished toys or threatening the removal of TV privileges had not had any effect and I was stuck for ideas. Again. 

My mind was filled at this point, with questions: Will I be able to keep my own frustrations in check and not go through and scream back at him? How the heck do I get him to calm down and not resort to the throwing/punching/lashing out he has become accustomed to of late? How am I ever going to control his behaviour when he's 8, 9, 10 yrs old and much stronger (he's already a little strong man now)? 

...and thoughts: if he damages his bedroom door he is in serious trouble - although I have no idea what 'serious trouble' would actually look like; goddammit this all started because I dared to take 10 minutes to myself to read a magazine.

Cut to half an hour later and the door is still in its frame, scattered toys and other general bedroom paraphenalia  have been begrudgingly tidied up, apologies received, tears wiped away, and reminders given about good behaviour being rewarded with the return of favourite toys. As B returns to his usual bright, happy self, I am left  exhausted, spent, drained, wishing I could brush off such episodes as easily as he can. It would certainly help my sanity.



3 comments:

  1. I remember those days. Tantrums are tough. Hang in there. He will get older and it will get better. It will be onto the next challenge then but at least tantrums will be over. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there! Hold your ground now, and you won't have to worry about the later. It's hard. It seems endless. But it will end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks both for your kind words, when you're right in the thick of one of these grumpy moments it's hard to see a way out!

      Delete