Thursday, 26 April 2012

What the hell was I thinking? Part I

I did something today I said I would not do when I woke up this morning. I signed up to something I promised myself I wouldn't. Not because I don't want it, but because I didn't want to be 'one of those poor schmucks' who signs their bank balance away without taking the appropriate time to think it through properly. 

I think of myself as being fairly savvy about sales tactics and cold calling and the like. I have seen 'Don't get Done, Get Dom', after all... But I obviously no nowt.


image credit: weheartit.com
I am so utterly ashamed and disgusted at myself right now. I can't even bring myself to write exactly what happened. I'll say 'home improvements' and leave it at that. I was determined the appointment today would be a curiosity only. As much as I would like the improvements, I really can't afford to sign up to lengthy repayment plans right now. There's no reason I should have done so. Thinking back, I don't feel the sales person led me on, or told me untruths, or anything like that. So I can't even explain why I did it. Maybe because I felt I was in control of the situation because it was in my home? I don't know. I obviously convinced myself I could afford it.

Which makes it all the more frustrating and shameful that I did it. Compounded by my current reaction to it, which actually made me feel sick earlier. It was that moment of panic when I realised what I had done - as if I didn't know what I was doing at the time, of course I did! 

O my god, what the hell was I thinking?!

There is a cooling off period to the contract, I did check that much. So I will be on the phone tomorrow to cancel. I am already worrying about the call, about their response and attempts to dissuade me from cancellation, and about making sure the cancellation actually goes through within the time limit.

I don't think I'll get much sleep tonight. I will be indulging in a little glass of vino tinto to calm my stupidly self-inflicted nerves.

Lesson learned, I hope.

Part II tomorrow, hopefully with good news!

No comments:

Post a Comment