Friday, 27 April 2012

What the hell was I thinking? Part II

(Read Part I for an overly-dramatic explanation...)

Well, having 'slept on it', I felt a bit calmer and not quite so dramatic about the situation this morning when I woke. A little vino last night did the trick to calm me a bit before bed (don't worry, I mean 'a little', I didn't neck the whole bottle or anything!). And surprisingly, I didn't end up having nightmares of monsters sales people or being unable to escape from my kitchen.

I was still a bit nervy, and feeling equally foolish and embarrassed at not having the strength to say no and sleeping on it before I signed on the dotted line yesterday. A pleasant walk to school in the sunshine this morning (yes, no rain! hurrah!) helped clear the head a bit as well, and I 'girded my loins' before picking up the phone to cancel.

A few anti-climactic minutes later, job done, with no persuading or prodding or questioning on their part as to my reasons for cancellation. I do need to send it in writing to them, which I will be doing today recorded delivery, and until I get confirmation from them that they've received the cancellation, I don't think I be able to completely put it behind me. Scratch that, I know that even once I've got that confirmation, I will be mulling over for a while just why I signed it, when I went into the whole thing knowing I didn't want to sign anything there and then. I could blame the sales tactics entirely, which were not heavy-handed, much more subtle - but obviously equally successful! But they are only partly the reason. I am an intelligent, fairly savvy person who knew what she wanted and who is not afraid of saying no, and yet I still signed.  And because I don't understand why I still signed, it will continue to make me feel quite uncomfortable for a wee while.



No comments:

Post a Comment