I wrote a post last year on 26 August about my mum, and I think it's appropriate for this challenge. It's a bit more than 90 words but I'm hoping that doesn't disqualify me!
20 years
20 years ago today my mum died after fighting cancer.
I was 16, just about to start back at school. We weren't a close family in terms of 'sharing our grief', we each dealt with it in our own way, with our own friends for support. But we carried on, my dad carried on, and he has dealt with a lot of sh*t over the last 20 years on his own.
I don't go to visit her memorial stone very often. Sometimes I feel guilty for this, but I know that just because I don't stand in front of a bit of stone, doesn't mean I'm not thinking about her. I don't get morbid or sad too often nowadays, usually I think about her in terms of what she'd think of me or my own situation, whatever that may be. I wish she could have met B of course, but he will know about her, has seen her photos, knows she is up in heaven.
20 years. Forever loved, never forgotten. xx
I was 16, just about to start back at school. We weren't a close family in terms of 'sharing our grief', we each dealt with it in our own way, with our own friends for support. But we carried on, my dad carried on, and he has dealt with a lot of sh*t over the last 20 years on his own.
I don't go to visit her memorial stone very often. Sometimes I feel guilty for this, but I know that just because I don't stand in front of a bit of stone, doesn't mean I'm not thinking about her. I don't get morbid or sad too often nowadays, usually I think about her in terms of what she'd think of me or my own situation, whatever that may be. I wish she could have met B of course, but he will know about her, has seen her photos, knows she is up in heaven.
20 years. Forever loved, never forgotten. xx
“Pink Ribbon Bingo have pledged to support Breakthrough Breast Cancer all year round with 15% of the gross revenue accrued through online play on the site being donated to the charity. Visitors also have the opportunity to donate a percentage of their winnings directly to the charity. Along with the fundraising element, Pink Ribbon Bingo and The Daily Mail online will be helping the charity to raise awareness by promoting their vital health messages such as TLC (Touch, Look, Check).“
Powerful post. I can't imagine how it felt to lose your Mum when so young. I lost mine to cancer when I was 40 and that was hard enough. Respect to you and your Dad for coming through it.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for sharing your story and joining in to spread the word about Breakthrough and breast cancer awareness. Much appreciated.