0.1%
Those are officially my chances of finding a job.
Impressive, isn't it.
I made this highly motivating discovery after a little research on s1jobs.com, one of the biggest online recruitment sites for Scotland.
Out of the 4526 jobs advertised on the site today, 25% were in Edinburgh and the Lothians, my area. Not bad, you may think. And you'd be right, that's 463 jobs, after all.
But here's where it goes pear-shaped.
image credit:
writeitdownith.wordpress.com
|
As a lone parent with a school-aged child, it isn't practical to work full-time hours. If I did, it would mean putting B into afterschool care 4 or 5 days a week, and paying for 4 or 5 days of afterschool care. It would also mean a very tired child who I only saw to put him to bed at the end of the day. That's not the reason I became a parent.
And so, searching for part-time hours only, this number dives swiftly to a paltry 71 jobs.
That's only 6% of Edinburgh jobs. And only 1.5% of all Scotland jobs.
What happened to all these part-time jobs which are supposed to be on the rise in these times of financial crisis? As employers can no longer afford full-time hours and more and more people take part-time roles because full-time jobs aren't available? It doesn't seem to be that way, not on this evidence.
Before this depressing situation forced me to slam my laptop down in disgust, I added an additional layer to my search. Uh oh.
When I search for jobs I could potentially actually DO (quite important, I think?!), the number tumbles down to a meager 10 jobs. 10 jobs out of a total 4526. That's 0.2% of jobs.
Taking an initial look at the specific jobs, I can quickly rule out 5 more, so that's just 5 jobs.
0.1%
And I know that many part-time jobs specify the hours they need worked, which don't fit within school hours, so I expect another couple of jobs could be scored out. I didn't even work this bit out, though, I'd had enough by this point. And I need all the free time I have to apply for the huge number of available jobs I found. Yeah, right.
Back in those ignorant, care-free pre-child days, the oft-repeated plan for the future was once kid/s were in school, we'd find a part-time job that fitted in with school hours. Not a problem, loads of parent manage it. But this just isn't possible, it's not realistic. Even with a couple of days of afterschool care, it is still impossible to find a job, let alone one that fits in with the limited hours available during school hours, when you don't have a second parent to take up the slack.
So it's back to the search next week, and if there's 0.1% of jobs i can apply for, this will be a good week.
I had the same problem when I had my first son so I started my own business. I am now trained in different therapies so I can do a few a week to fill the gaps. Good luck lovely xx
ReplyDeletethanks, that's kind! i am thinking self-employment is the way forward, but haven't settled on what it is i can do well enough to make money from! can't really afford a long period of re-training right now.
Delete