Tuesday, 21 February 2012

I need a translator over here!



On the way home from afterschool today I asked B the usual questions about what he did at school today. After the obligatory "can't remember"/"don't know" responses, he did finally tell me they had a special assembly because it was Pancake Day.
image credit: bbcgoodfood.com

 So, I asked, what did you learn about in the assembly about Pancake Day? How to make pancakes? Why Pancake Day exists? No, he says, and he then launched into an intruiging story which I am still trying to decipher...

B: "Well, there was a new man there"

Me: "A new teacher?"

B: "No, well maybe he was, but he wasn't Mrs H* and he wasn't Mrs J* and he wasn't Mrs M* so I don't think he was a teacher" (*names have been withheld to protect the innocent...)

Me: "There are other teachers in the school other than P1 teachers, so maybe he was a teacher?"

B: "Mmmm... *thinks for a few moments* I haven't seen him before in my class...but he told us a story about a man going to see Jesus (pronounced cheese-uss...) and the man climbed up a tree."

Me: "Why did he climb up a tree?"

B: "To see Cheese-us, silly! Cheese-us came up to the tree and he was up to there! *points up to his chest level* on the man, and then the man went with Cheese-us to his house for his tea, but he wasn't ready yet."

Me: "Wasn't ready for what?"

B: "Wasn't ready to go for his tea".

Me: "And then what happened?"

B: "um, the end."

Ideas, anyone?! I'm guessing some sort of Lent/Shrove Tuesday story, but I am none the wiser.

Perhaps that says more about my knowledge of the bible than it does about B's ability to recount the story... but it was a very enjoyable story nonetheless!

Oo, I could fair go a pancake right about now...

2 comments:

  1. It's the story of Zacchaeus, from the Gospel according to Luke. He was a tax collector, climbed a tree to see Jesus as he went past; Jesus told him to climb down as he was going to his house for tea; everyone was shocked that Jesus would so favour a tax inspector... The End! B got the high points... Apparently a traditional Bible story to use at the start of Lent (not sure why...) Shame on you for not knowing that! ;oD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gee thanks, Sam! I did say it would probably have more to do with my lack of biblical knowledge. i will forever remember it! x

      Delete